The IPMAT exam is an aptitude test conducted by IIM Indore to admit students into the IPM program. Being a part of an institute of national importance like the IIMs is surely every student’s dream. Moreover, this dream stems from the fact that the quality of education being imparted at the IIMs is unparalleled. With the launch of the IPM program by 5 IIMs that is IIM Indore, IIM Rohtak, IIM Ranchi, IIM Jammu and IIM Bodhgaya has provided students who have just passed 12th standard an opportunity to be a part of the IIM family. The exposure they get from this is tremendous.
What is IPMAT?
As we talked about in the intro, the IPMAT stands for Integrated Program in Management Aptitude Test which is conducted by IIM Indore and IIM Rohtak to induct candidates into their IPM Program. The exam pattern slightly differs between the IPMAT of IIM Indore and IIM Rohtak. However, the areas tested would remain the same and they are as follows:
- Quantitative aptitude section which will basically test your knowledge level of mathematics up to 10th grade.
- Data interpretation questions wherein small caselets of data will be provided which would be followed by a series of questions.
- Logical reasoning which could either have caselets or singleton questions.
- Verbal ability which would cover areas of grammar, vocabulary, comprehension etc.
It is of utmost importance that you give equal importance to each of these areas and practice a variety of questions from each area. Often candidates make the mistake of taking the verbal ability section lightly thinking that it is basic English.
However, I would strongly urge you all to pay equal attention to each section. This is because firstly the IPMAT has sectional cut-offs and secondly paying equal attention to all the sections would increase your chances of being able to do maximum questions in the exam.
Why Should you Choose IPM?
The IPM program is a five-year integrated program in management which is presently offered by 5 IIMs. Although the degree received by the students at the end of 5 years is BBA + MBA, this program is very different from a normal BBA program.
The whole idea behind starting the IPM program for undergraduate students was to transform them into contemporary thinking managers who would have a hands-on experience of the functioning of the corporate world. Moreover, the IIMs are known for their quality education and rigour and the IPM course is making it possible for students to experience this at a young age.
Graduating from an IIM would also mean that you are not starting from a level 0 because the IIM provides you with a platform from which you can build your career much more easily. The structuring of the IPM course is done in such a way that it touches all the various aspects of management including human psychology and sociology. This program aims for the holistic development of the students and therefore course curriculum has been designed to ensure the achievement of this objective.
Eligibility for the IPMAT Exam
The following points need to be paid attention to be eligible for the exam:
• There is a minimum percentage requirement of 60% in class 10th and 12th examinations.
• The candidates who wish to apply for the IPMAT exam should’ve passed the qualifying examination in 20220, 2021 or 2022.
• The candidates can be maximum of 20 years of age to apply for the IPMAT.
• Candidates belonging to any stream that is science, commerce and arts can apply for the exam.
IPMAT Exam Pattern
|Section||Question Format||No. of Questions||Time Duration||Marks Awarded|
|Quantitative Ability||MCQs||20||30 minutes||+4|
|Quantitative Ability||Short Answers||10||30 minutes||+4|
|Verbal Ability||MCQs||30||30 minutes||+4|
Total questions: 50
Duration of the exam: 1 ½ hours
The quantitative ability MCQs section and the verbal ability section has negative marking, that is -1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer in these two sections
The following is a summary of all the important dates pertaining to the IPMAT:
|IPMAT IIM Indore online registration start date||26th march 2022|
|IPMAT IIM Indore registration last date||7th May 2022|
|IPMAT date||2nd July 2022|
|IPMAT result date||15th July 2022|
Exam Centres for IPMAT
This year IIM Indore would be conducting the IPMAT in 34 cities across India. Since this exam is conducted only once each year smooth conduct of the exam across all centers is taken care of by the institute. Along with the admit card, the candidates would be given a list of instructions regarding the documents to be carried to the examination center, covid protocols to be followed, reporting time at the center etc. It is highly advised that the students strictly follow these instructions as the institute offers no slack in the conduct of the exam at any of its centers.
The following is a list of the centers where the IPMAT would be conducted this year:
Procedure to fill IPMAT From
The registration for the IPMAT 2022 of IIM Indore has already begun and the last date to register for the exam is 7th May 2022. The following is the procedure you can follow to complete your application process:
- Visit the official visit of IIM Indore
- Click on ‘Register for IPMAT 2022’.
- You then need to complete the registration process by entering your details as prompted by the registration form
- Once you complete the registration process you will receive an application number and password which would be your login credentials.
- Next you should use your log in credentials to log in to your portal and then fill your details and upload the documents.
- The last step in the application form will be the payment of application form fees.
- Lastly, please take and keep a printout of your application form for future reference.
Syllabus for IPMAT
The syllabus for the IPMAT is mostly based on the 10th and 12th syllabus.
Let’s discuss the IPMAT syllabus under all the three sections:
Quantitative aptitude (MCQs and short answers)
- Number systems
- Time and distance
- Time and work
- Sequence and series
- Ratio proportion
- Mixtures and allegations
- Simple and compound interest
- Profit and loss
- Logarithmic and exponential functions
- Linear and quadratic equations
- Matrices and determinants
- Data interpretation and set theory
- Logical reasoning questions
- Permutations and combinations
Verbal ability section
- Reading comprehension
- Antonyms and synonyms
- Vocabulary questions
- Idioms and phrases
- Spelling errors
- Foreign words
- Para jumbles
- Error spotting
- Inference based questions
IPMAT 2022 Admit Card
The IPMAT 2022 admit card is most likely to be released on 18 June 2022. Once you receive the soft copy of the admit card it is advisable that you also take a print out of the same. The admit card would give all the details regarding the timing of the exam, the exam center, address of the exam center, a summary of all the details you filled in during the registration process etc.
It is very important to read and understand all the instructions very carefully as the authorities at the exam center are very strict would not lay slack in the implementation of the rules. On the day of the examination please ensure that you carry your admit card along with a valid photo ID proof and any other document which may have been mentioned in the instructions as per the admit card.
IPMAT 2022 Results
The exam results of the IPMAT will be released on the official website of IIM Indore. In order to see your results, you need to log in using your log in credentials and you would be able to see your entire scorecard which will give you the scores obtained in every section. There will also be a cut off list for every category.
Steps to follow to check your results:
- Visit the official website of IIM Indore.
- Then click on ‘IPMAT 2022 Results’ tab
- The candidates will then have to enter their application number and will also have to enter their date of birth and registered email ID.
Colleges Accepting IPMAT Score
Apart from IIM Indore there are other institutes too which are offering the IPM program to students. The scores obtained in the IPMAT conducted by IIM Indore are presently being accepted by three colleges other than IIM Indore. The colleges are as follows:
- IIM Ranchi – IIM Ranchi too is offering the IPM course which is for a period of 5 years. Their intake for the IPM program is 120 students and they accept the scores of the IPMAT conducted by IIM Indore pr the STA scores. Thus, it is very beneficial to give the IPMAT as even if in a contingency situation you aren’t able to clear the cut off for IIM Indore you still have a chance of clearing the cut of IIM Ranchi.
- TAPMI Banglore Campus – TAMPI Bengaluru is a campus of the Manipal Academy of Higher Education at Yelahanka, Bangalore. It is offering a 4 years BBA (Hons) program with an exit option after three years. This program is another good option as it claims to be not just a plain three years graduation with an extra year of honors but rather a program designed to ensure that the students are able to gain quality relevant education. The institute is accepting the IPMAT IIM Indore scores for their BBA (Hons) program presently.
- NIRMA University – NIRMA University in Ahmedabad is one of the most renowned institutes in India when it comes to management studies. It is presently offering the IPM course (BBA+MBA) which is a five-year integrated program in management. In order to admit students into the IPM course, the institute considers the scores from the IPMAT conducted by IIM Indore.
Difficulty of the IPMAT
IIM Indore’s IPMAT exam in my opinion is slightly tougher than its contemporaries. With the new pattern, although the time is sufficient but the questions are tough. Moreover, I feel that in order to do well in the IPMAT the most important on which one should focus is the concepts. If your conceptual base is good, then you would be able to better apply those concepts in tougher problems. While the easier problems would seem like a cakewalk.
Generally, when it comes to preparation for the competitive exams there are a plethora of books available which you can refer to. However, it is extremely important to be very thorough with the pattern of the exam you are appearing for and refer to only those books which will help you in getting a good practice for the exam. It is also important to keep yourself up-to-date with any kind of changes in the paper pattern or syllabus etc which might be made and look for books which have incorporated all the latest changes.
Here are some of the authors whose books you can refer to for the quantitative ability section:
- Quantitative aptitude for competitive exams by R.S. Aggarwal
- Class XI and XII R.D. Sharma
- How to prepare for quantitative aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma
- The Pearson guide to quantitative preparation for IPMAT
- Modern approach to logical reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal
- How to prepare for logical reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma
List of books to refer for the verbal ability section:
- Brush up your English by ST Imam
- Word power made easy by Norman Lewis
- English grammar and composition by Wren and Martin
- Better English by Norman Lewis
Apart from these recommendations, it is also advised that you should go through the previous year’s IPMAT question papers of IIM Indore as it would help you in having an approximate idea about the difficulty of the question paper. Please refer to the following link to get the previous year’s question papers.
The IPMAT is an extremely important exam as it not only gives you an opportunity to be a part of the prestigious institutions like the IIMs but also opens doors for various other renowned colleges like NIRMA university and TAMPI Bangalore etc. It would be an excellent opportunity for all the candidates and this opportunity should definitely be utilized.
Having said this, it is completely understandable that it might seem as a tough nut to crack. However, all you need for clearing this exam is smart hard work, lots of practice and whole lot of faith in oneself.
Frequently Asked Questions
The fees for the application form of the IPMAT IIM Indore are as follows:
General category/ OBC – Rs. 4130
SC/ ST/ PwD – Rs. 2065
Ans. The exam will be conducted in an online mode where in the students would have to go to their respective centres.
Yes, the exam has negative marking in two of its sections. The quantitative ability (MCQs) section and the verbal ability section would have negative marking. -1 marks would be deducted for every wrong answer.
Presently, only one attempt is possible for the IPMAT.
IIM Indore would announce a date and duration of their correction window which is most likely to be in May 2022. The candidates who wish to edit their forms would be allowed to do so only in this duration. However, it should be noted that only certain specific fields in the form would be editable.
IIM Indore and IIM Rohtak conduct their own separate IPMAT exams. Presently, the only IIM which accepts the score of IIM Indore IPMAT exam is IIM Ranchi.
No, candidates aren’t allowed to carry calculators during the IPMAT. However, there is an online calculator available on the computer screen which can be used.